Wednesday, October 21, 2015

The Great Gatsby


After I had finished my second year of high school I got a book from my teacher for good marks (it is a common prize for good results at Polish schools :))... But! It wasn't a boring science book... I recieved  "the Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Fortuneatly there was a movie on at the cinema, so the book has been at the bookshops.
I didn't want to see the movie. But I was interested in this book. So I started. It was holiday, so there wasn't much time... But I wanted and I read it.

I suppose that everybody who is a native english and attend to english literature classes have read this one..

It seems that it is just a book about some guy who is so rich that throws a parties every week that all of the New Yorkers want to attend. But the funny thing is that no one knows Gatsby and what he looks like. Everybody has heard of him, of his parties but no one knew him by themselves.
The book starts when the main character Nick moves in the house next to the Gatsby's. He met him and wierd things are going on between old friends. For example, Gatsby wanted to meet Daisy, his old girlfriend who had broken up with him because she hadn't wanted to wait for him until he became rich, but as far he was poor and I don't think she had believed he would ever become one. So she married Tom. And Gatsby wanted Daisy back.
The saddest thing in this book is when Gatsby is assassined by a man who thought Gatsby had killed his wife in a car accident. Of course Gatsby didn't do that. It was Daisy whom Gatsby covered. The murderer thought also like that because of the Daisy's husband's betrayal. He was collapsed because the woman who had died was his lover. But after all, Nick had to organise a funeral. And here was the biggest problem, what is the saddest part of the book. There was no one who wanted to come. Everyone wanted to attend his parties, see his wealth but no one wanted to come at his funeral. The only persons who came was Nick and Gatsby's father, Mr. Gatz. He told Nick that Gatsby's real name is James Gatz, that he comes from poor family from North Dakota. It was shocking, because Gatsby told Nick that he comes from rich family from San Francisco.

(Allow me to degress a little: I don't like when people do a such thing... That they lie just to be seen as better, to think he is better... I don't like when people are ashamed of the place and family they come from... And these are not just empty words because I come from a little village in Poland, I doubt if there are more than few people who acctually know where Poland is... And no one in Poland knows where my village is. ;x But I am not ashamed. I am proud cause i could have met people i met and become a person i have become. )

I like this book because I like sad endings. I like to cry when something bad is going on with the main character. It is silly, but when it happens I really enjoy reading the book. There are a lot of things I didn't understand in "Great Gatsby", like bilboard with big eyes and glasses... But, I enjoyed it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment